Thursday, January 8, 2009

Teaching Stories

I have "classic" kids stories every day of my life while teaching. Kids of all ages are full of surprises and craziness. Now that I've been teaching private lessons for over four years now, my biggest surprise is how they all grow and mature. I've had some of my students for a LONG time now. I've seen fourth graders turn into teens, I've seen teens turn into young adults, I've seen four-year-olds grow into little adults, I've seen adults turn into little kids! :) In one week, I've seen a 10 year old tell me that he "wants to learn more about politics so that he can keep up with the world." An (very accomplished) adult say that she's much too scared to play in a recital. A pre-teen tell me that she's going to be an international star by the time she's 20. And an overachieving young man who even though he knows that he's not going to be a concert pianist, wants his songs to be perfect...more perfect than anyone who's ever strived for perfection in their life. I don't have a boring job. I have a job that with every second teaches me what it's like to live life. :) I'll post some more specific stories in future posts, I promise. They are numerous. I sometimes feel that I have over 50 children of my own and sometimes just want to share every second of every one of them.

1 comment:

  1. i love to hear stories about kids. so glad that you like your job. your students young and old are lucky to have you as a teacher!a-k

    ReplyDelete